Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Brega Bombed More Die, How Long Before Justice is Done

I have not written for a few days due to watching the news. Watching, waiting and worrying about what would happen next. Today Gadhafi  launched air strikes and dropped bombs on the port oil city of Brega. 

Airstrikes against Brega

Brega is a port city where oil is located. I have visited the town once several years ago and it is a quiet city but with the oil being there it is a strategic point. I do not know if my family is safe as they are reporting four dead and many injured. My heart is breaking as I wait for news on whether any of my family has been injured or worse. Up until today, I was ambiguous about what needed to be done. I felt strongly the citizens needed to decide what they want and I still feel this way but after today, the time for the west to sit on their hands and do nothing is ended. It has been clear the majority of the citizens want G. gone and now so do I.

I pray my family is safe and not among the injured or worse dead. I am not a person who wants death and destruction and I am a person who believes in free will. How many more must pay the price for the basic right of deciding what they want? How many more must die before the west and the UN including Russia and China decide to get off their proverbial butts and do what is right. I am at the point right now that the I feel we need to do what is right and the rest of the world be damned.

I understand countries have the right to control their land but when the people are saying enough is enough then the government of that country has lost their legitimacy to lead the people. 42 years is long enough as a leader and if the people are in control of the country as G. keeps saying then he has lost touch. The only reason he and his family does not want to give up control is because they do not to lose control of all the money associated with the oil.

I pray that Allah will help the Libyan people to gain their freedom and I pray that the Al Saif and G. and the rest of his family suffer the same fate as those they have condemned to death. I may never be able to visit the country again where my heart also lies but I am with my family and the people of Libya in spirit and pray justice will be done.

Libya oh Libya do not give up the brave fight for what is just and right.

No comments:

Post a Comment